Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Creag Meagaidh footnote




A few more days since Meggy adventure.




On Monday Avalanche risk increased from moderate to considerable and a 16 year old Scout was killed while winter walking with his mum.




As well as this heinous but all too familiar accident I have been thinking about close shaves, in particular, falling ice missiles, which are becoming well seated in my subconcious.




I was nervous before Meggy and my ice climbing partners are quick to brush the whole thing aside in acceptance of the risk and seem reticent to even bring the subject up. I, on the other hand harp on about it so much I can hear the unspoken advice loud and clear, "shut up about it and get on with it".




Well I can understand their point. If you dont like the elements involved in the activity, dont do it. I cant have my cake and eat it. Deal with the falling, heavy razor sharp, whizzing, whirring ice projectiles as they bounce or straight line down the face or dont bloody ice climb in the first place.




Right now I am seriously considering this advice.










No comments: